Shortly before his death in 1893 Sir William Mackinnon, Bart., of Loup and Balinakill, and his nephew Mr. Duncan Macneill, determined to establish a scheme to assist the education of deserving highland lads.
The original trustees allowed this Mackinnon Macneill Fund to accumulate for a number of years before founding a residential school – the Kintyre Technical School – in Southend near Campbeltown in 1915.
The school was open to boys from the Counties of Argyll and Inverness, from Bute and Arran and from the Western Islands and Highlands. Free places were awarded to 12 year olds who had passed the primary school qualifying examination for entry to a 3 year course with an emphasis on engineering and agriculture.
A disastrous fire in 1924 completely destroyed the school but within one year the trustees had purchased the mansion and grounds of Helenslee House in Dumbarton and Keil School opened in 1925 .
As the years passed, the school opened its doors to girls, to younger pupils, to pupils from abroad and to day pupils. The trustees, still led by a member of the Mackinnon family, continued to offer generous bursary and scholarship awards until the year 2000 when Keil School closed.
Once again the trustees were required to find a new direction. The eventual sale of the land and property in 2004 provided the funds to allow the trustees to again offer assistance in the education of deserving young people.